Thought of a different way to get around my problem.  Unless I hosed my
Linux install trying to compile the driver, I should be able to remove
the controller and attached drives and install Linux onto a different
drive controlled by the motherboard.  I could then upgrade the kernel &
kernel-source, compile the commensurate driver and copy it off to floppy.
I could then put the controller and attached drives back in and then
manually setup the correctly compiled driver before upgrading the kernel
again.

Kind of a pain, but it's the only way I can think to do this other than
waiting for the vendor to release one.  I'd just have to repeat this
process every time RH releases a new kernel (yikes!).

I'll post my results later today.

Stuart