> I did all of that except the cups part. I've been avoiding it because
> the previous printing system has been good to me. Until now, anyway.
>
> Yeah, it's listening to 515. I have the daemon running on both. I can
> print from the machine that has it directly attached. I get
> "no connect
> permissions" from the other machine. As I said, I can't even telnet to
> that port. That's weird because there's no firewall whatsoever on that
> box, and all iptables rules show ACCEPT on that machine.
>
> I might mull this over a little bit and possibly dive into cups.
>
> Is there a simple "CUPS for Dummies" site? I tried it once a long time
> ago. It was difficult for me (at that time) to figure out
> what was going
> on, and I never did get it to work. That was just as well then since I
> already had printing. I was just trying to see what else was out there
> at the time.
>
> --
> So few people think. When we find one who really does, we call him
> a genius.

hi al,

well, my experience with cups has been so darn good that i cannot hesitate
to recommend it -- just fantastic. i have the kitchen sink installed --

cups-drivers-pnm2ppa-1.9-1.20020617.6
cups-drivers-1.9-1.20020617.6
cups-drivers-hpijs-1.9-1.20020617.6
cups-1.1.17-0.2
cups-libs-1.1.17-0.2
foomatic-1.9-1.20020617.6
Omni-foomatic-0.7.0-6

you'll maybe need to modify the /etc/cups/cupsd.conf to allow admin to
access the web page from an ip address other than localhost. once you have
done that, restart the cups daemon and start a web browser with
http://your.host.com:631 and enter root/rootpassword. the web interface is
so nice and obvious, that you'll have up it and running in zero time. the
remote web admin is extremely useful if your out and about and printer
problem occurs ...

cheers

christopher cuse