So RH9 is a complete solution and has no need to function correctly with
any outside apps to meet all of the reasonable needs of all who pay them
money for their OS?

Ximian didn't change things RH did so it follows that for the sake of
happy customers (read: those who keep them in business) it would make
sense for RH to be certain that the thousands of customers who use
common non-RH Linux apps with their OS are not unduly inconvenienced by
changes that they make.  (Or at least to make certain that those they
are asking to upgrade know what may be broken if they pays their money
and loads their upgrade.)

Hardly an unreasonable expectation of a business that expects customers
to trust them and to keep coming back to spend their money.

doc