On Thursday 05 Jun 2003 1:32 am, Edward Dekkers wrote:
> Gary Stainburn wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I've started puttting out WinXP boxes on my network - not through choice,
> > however I've got a problem with them.
> >
> > If I have mapped network drives onto another M$ box everything is fine.
> >
> > If I have mapped network drives onto a Samba service (RH7.3+errata) the
> > drives don't connect, and show in 'My Computer' but with red 'X' agains
> > them. Double clicking on them then re-connects, but sometimes a password
> > is requested first.
> >
> > Although I think it's a WinXP problem, I was wondering if any Samba users
> > out there know how to fix it.
>
> I noticed you aven't gotten a reply on this yet.
>
> My personal experience is that Windows XP PROFESSIONAL (you don't
> mention which on you are using) does this SOMETIMES, not all the time.
> (The red X thing I mean). However I've never been asked to re-verify my
> password when clicking on them, they just re-connect.
>
> I've always just put it down to 'one of those Gates things'.

Sorry, it is XP Pro, should have said.  At first I thought it was because the
network wasn't ready before the desktop was, as shortcuts placed in the
startup folder also fail.

However, as with the mapped drives, the shortcuts work if they're pointing at
a M$ box.

Just for info, what I have managed is a workaround.  I have a DOS batch in the
startup which repeatedly calls 'net use' on a Samba share until it works,
then I call one 'net use X: <path>' for each mapped network drive.  This
seams to successfully reconnect the drives.

--
Gary Stainburn