On Thu, 2003-06-05 at 07:55, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Jun 2003, Michael Kalus wrote:
>
> > Yes and no.
> >
> > The main problem I see with things like Webmin is that they remove the
> > "user" from the real system. If they don't have Webmin available later when
> > something is wrong they might not be able to fix the problem.
>
> i haven't used webmin, but what i'd *really* like is the ability
> for any GUI tool to show me what it's actually doing underneath.
>
> AIX's "SMIT" tool had this -- if you were in the interface, and
> pressed something like F6, you were shown the underlying command
> that was about to be run.
>
> perhaps this is unrealistic if what has to be done involves a number
> of commands, but it sure was nice to have.

I agree this would be nice,  Webmin does at least keep a searchable log
of actions with details of what was done and a pointer to the cgi script
that actually did the changes though not the "command line" that was
run.  Since webmin is perl based I guess cruising through the script
would not be too difficult.

FYI

here is a cut and paste from one such entry

Action Details

Details of logged action 1035406424.19845.0
Description     Created Network Filesystem mount compaq2:/pub on /pub
Webmin module   Disk and Network Filesystems    Generated by script
        mount/save_mount.cgi
Webmin user     root    Client IP or hostname   192.168.0.158
Session ID      73fab6a26c8a93383b2d8e5da3d3c2f2        Date and time   23/Oct/2002
15:53:44

No config file changes were logged for this action

Bret