On Thu, 2003-06-05 at 22:26, Michael Kalus wrote:
> Yes and no.
>
> The main problem I see with things like Webmin is that they remove the
> "user" from the real system. If they don't have Webmin available later when
> something is wrong they might not be able to fix the problem.
>
> Granted, I grew up on Command Line and even though I have (and use) Webmin I
> rather still have people go back to the command line, also in the line of
> work in the past when I had Junior SysAdmins who relied way too much on the
> GUI instead of figuring out how to do it on the CLI.
>
> Just my 2 cents.
>
> Michael

It does have it's purposes. If you're administering a number of machines
and you already know what you're doing, it saves time and energy. If
you're a "noob" it IS rather "dumbing" as it's always better for "noobs"
to get a firm understanding from the "ground up". For those in a hurry
to get something up and running NOW, it's also great.

I utilise it for clients when I don't want to travel - on the other
hand, when I want to travel and be onsite, then I do everything by hand
- which, of course, justifies the "paid by the hour" bit.

It is rather magical in some senses as you can, for instance, add a
printer to a server or a workstation remotely - the users ALL OF A
SUDDEN have this new printer up and running and printing after only a
few minutes of time...or, utilising it to blow out crap from the
outbound SENDMAIL queue...or utilising it to add a user to a particular
workstation on at a site...

(Yet another tool to prove to the M$'ers that linux ain't quite as hard
to maintain or administer as the FUD says it is...)

--
Fri Jun  6 08:40:00 EST 2003
 08:40:00 up 1 day,  9:33,  2 users,  load average: 0.07, 0.17, 0.21