I tried the ps -aux.  It was really easy when I didn't have much of
anything running to keep up with it, but none of the programs would show
any increase in memory as time passed.  What's more, especially after
running X, I would notice that not very much memory is freed up. Btw, I
use startx.  Check 'free' before running X and again afterwards, best if
done after a clean boot.  Same number of processes, but more memory not
available.

What I really need is a better memory utility.  Like the first post I
made here, even if you add the columns in ps and top, they won't add up
to the total that they report as being used.

Skip