I will post the output from free later.  I rebooted recently, so the
usage is not quite up there yet.  However, I think that your free output
is rather alarming too.  You should not have 500 megs used, unless you
are say, running a server with many, many concurrent connections.  You
are allready using swap space too.  Reboot your computer and see how
much memory is used right away.  As for the caches, I thought that those
were referring to the CPU caches.  If the numbers refer to bytes (vice
kilobytes), mine totals to 640K.  If the are KB, then maybe you are on
to something.  Fwiw, the man page isn't very clear on it.

Thanks for replying though.  Know of any good linux memory tools out
there?

Skip