>can anyone provide tips on speeding up x?
>it's very slow. just how slow? imagine a windows 386sx (16mb ram)
>operating twice as fast as a pII (32mb sdram) that has x on it.

The speed is a result of your CPU and total RAM.  I have a CPU that is
like a 200MHz unit and 98MB of RAM and I have no speed problems with
XWindows and the OpenWindows environment.

But, you give no information as to what you do have for CPU and RAM power,
you do not tell us what you have for a display card (it could be slow as
well), you do not tell us which XWindows environment you are running, etc.
It is extremely difficult to recommend anything when our crystal balls are
broken.

MB
--
System Administrator - Finnigan FT/MS - Madison WI. URL:http://www.ftms.com/