* [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Thanks to everone for their information!  I appreciate it!

However, the information does not seem to be all together correct.

Whenever you start a new bourne shell (sh, bash, ksh, ...), the
following files are read:

  /etc/profile
  /etc/profile.d/*.sh
  ${HOME}/.bashrc

Whenever you log in to your system (first time X login, ssh to your
system, telnetting, etc) and you start a bourne compatible shell, the
following file is also read:

  ${HOME}/.bash_login

This means that if you need to set a _user specific variable_, use
_${HOME}/.bashrc_.  If you want to set a variable for all users, use
_/etc/profile.d/local.sh_.

For information on csh compatible shells, I do not know.

--
 Jon Haugsand, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 http://www.norges-bank.no