Once upon a time Edmunds, Keith wrote:

> On Friday, April 10, 1998 2:46 PM, Jacek Andreas Matulla
> [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:
> > well I know someone who wants to learn C++ or C programming. As I just use
> > Linux, I have no idea about programming....
>
> On the whole C programmers fall into two categories: those who started
> out by getting hold of a copy of Kernighan and Ritchie, and those who
> got hold of a copy later. I - years ago - wasted money on three C
> programming books as I thought K&R was too expensive. Of course I later
> bought it, and it is one of the best programming books I've ever seen
> (although I agree with an earlier comment that it only teaches you C,
> not _how to program_ which is an entirely seperate subject).

I still wouldn't recommend K&R to someone who knows no C. Itg is not
well written and it is overpriced. I admit it's accurate and
comprehensive.

--
|Deryk Barker, Computer Science Dept. | Music does not have to be understood|
|Camosun College, Victoria, BC, Canada| It has to be listened to.           |