a.out is the default executable that is generated by cc.
You can change it by
cc -o myprog myprog.c mod1.c mod2.obj
will compile to myproj from the myproj.c, mod1.c and mod2.obj.

Typically you have a file called hello.c with
main()
{
    printf("hello world\n");
}

then use
cc -o hello hello.c
to compile it.

Emacs is a great IDE.   Enjoy.

#Thanks,

#Matt Smith
#============================
#[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 04/15 10:36 AM >>>
Hi all !
Sorry if this is off-topic
I have just made my very first c-program, it's the world famous "Hello World" and I'm
now stuck with a file called a.out
The book I am reading doesn't tell me exactly what to do with this file, only that i
shall do this:
cc myprog.c mod1.c mod2.o
but I don't understand what is meant with that, so can anyone here pleace tell me what
to do with this file so that I can execute it ?

Thanks

ps. does anyone know a good IDE for redhat linux ?