On Tue, 2003-06-10 at 07:20, Edward Smith wrote:
> I am trying to install Ethereal on a RedHat 9 box, and am running into a
> problem with dependencies. I have tried the up2date --solvedeps
> recommended in previous postings, but even though I got a message saying
> Ethereal is updated and installed, I get an error message stating the
> command is not found and the manual is not installed when I try to
> launch it from the Terminal window. I also tried the up2date --solvedeps
> on the dependencies that were showing as failed previously, but I
> receive responses that there is no package available for libpcap.so,
> libcrypto.so.0, etc. Being new to Linux, I would really appreciate any
> help I can get regarding this. Feel free to respond off-list.

We assume you are using the RPMs from Red Hat.

If so, what do you get when you simply run...

rpm -ivh name_of_ethereal_rpm.here

Ed

P.S.  It is often better to copy/paste the exact messages you see
instead of saying "I see something like..."

--
http://www.shorewall.net       Shorewall, for all your firewall needs