DLE;

There are several ways to go to single user mode.

#init s
#init S
#init 1

as the root user will bring a running system to the level.  This does not
always work gracfully (depends on how well written the kill scripts are)

Another way is to reboot the computer and at the LILO prompt, type the
label of the kernel you want to load (press <TAB> to see the list) and
after that append a -s

LILO: linux -s

This is the normal label.

Pete
At 02:22 PM 4/15/98 -0700, David L. Engen wrote:
>I have been monitoring this forum for some time, and have seen several
>references
>to "Bring the system to single user".  I have tried to determine the
>method to do this.  It
>must be so obvious that nobody writes it down.  I noticed that there
>used to be an option for (shutdown -s) that no longer exists and the
>file that it used to create does nothing under current systems.
>
>Would somebody shed some light on this subject?  I know that you will,
>and was reluctant to utilize this media for this.
>
>DLE
>

>--

Pete Durst                                                              e-mail
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
P&L   Software                                                          fax
(613) 634-1341
Consultant/Programmer
 :-)