On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Trenton D. Adams wrote:

> What good would it be fore me to update my kernel to a new one?  I am using

The older kernels suffer from performance issues and security holes.
2.0.27 is vulnerable to the SYN-flood denial of service attack, the
teardrop crash exploit, and it has some performance problems under load
with the filesystem.  Of course, there appears to be some evidence over
the past few days that even the modern kernels may have a crashing exploit
loose in them somewhere, so we may see a 2.0.35 soon. :)

> 2.0.27.  Also, are the kernels the same whether they be for Slackware, or
> Red Hat?

Mostly.  Red Hat made a couple of changes to the kernel they released for
5.0 in the sound driver, and the compilation options will be different,
but the source code of the kernel is the same.