On Friday 13 June 2003 04:40 am, Matthew Richards wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am writing a script to determine if a serial mouse is connected to the
local system. So far I have:

> #!/bin/bash
> SMOUSE=$(/bin/grep -i "serial" /etc/sysconfig/mouse)
> if [ $SMOUSE = "" ]; then
>    echo "There is not a serial mouse attached to this system."
> else
>    echo "A serial mouse is attached to this system."
> fi
<SNIP>
> the value that is returned on my system with a serial mouse is:
>
> FULLNAME="Generic - 3 Button Mouse (serial)"
>
> but I do not know how to determine if the string "serial" exists in the
variable SMOUSE in terms of the 'if' statement.

The answer is.... you don't.

If you specify the -q option, grep will exit immediately with zero status if
any match is found (even if an error was detected), or non-zero if no match
is found.  The $? shell variable is always set to the exit code of the
previous command, so just check that.

/bin/grep -qi "serial" /etc/sysconfig/mouse
if [ $? != 0 ]; then
  echo "There is not a serial mouse attached to this system."
else
  echo "A serial mouse is attached to this system."
fi

DDDD   David Kramer                   http://thekramers.net
DK KD  "If I asked you where we were," said Arthur weakly, "would I
DKK D  regret it?"  Ford stood up.  "We're safe," he said.  "We are
DK KD  in a small galley cabin," said Ford,  in one of those
DDDD   spaceships of the Vogon Construction Fleet."  "Ah." said
       Arthur, "this is obviously some strange usage of the word
       _safe_ that I wasn't previously aware of."
                 Douglas Adams, "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy".