On 10:55 13 Jun 2003, David Kramer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| On Friday 13 June 2003 04:40 am, Matthew Richards wrote:
[...]
| > but I do not know how to determine if the string "serial" exists in the
| variable SMOUSE in terms of the 'if' statement.
|
| The answer is.... you don't.
|
| If you specify the -q option, grep will exit immediately with zero status if
| any match is found (even if an error was detected), or non-zero if no match
| is found.  The $? shell variable is always set to the exit code of the
| previous command, so just check that.
|
| /bin/grep -qi "serial" /etc/sysconfig/mouse
| if [ $? != 0 ]; then
|   echo "There is not a serial mouse attached to this system."
| else
|   echo "A serial mouse is attached to this system."
| fi

Of course, because grep (and many other command) act as boolean tests,
and if's condition test _is_ a command, a much more readbale idom is this:

        if /bin/grep -qi "serial" /etc/sysconfig/mouse
        then
          echo "A serial mouse is attached to this system."
        else
          echo "There is not a serial mouse attached to this system."
        fi

No ugly poking at $? required.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

The impossible we understand right away - the obvious takes a little longer.