Syl wrote:
Every time I start RHN up2date I get the notification "your system is
currently running kernel-2.4.20-8 but the newest installed kernel is
kernel-2.4.20-18.9. It is recommended that you reboot at the first
opportunity to test this new kernel."

uname -a gives 2.4.20-8 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

I have rebooted a number of times but the never message never disappears.
Any suggestions why the new kernel is not be started?

Syl

By default, if you did a rpm -i install of the new kernel, then the old kernel was kept, and it will boot up, instead of the new. You need to go into grub (if you are using grub) to change the 'default=1' line in /boot/grub/grub.conf to 'default=0'. The installer will have put the new kernel first in the (zero-based) list. The old kernel will be the second on the list. If you have a 'timeout=n' line, then you will get a list of all available kernels, and can boot up the one you want. I don't know how lilo works, but I assume it is similar.

HTH,
Bill