I don't use this feature, so I cannot comment on weather or not it would
work. You can read about this feature (and all the other sendmail features)
in the cf/README file. Hint: Load the sendmail-cf RPM.

>    SC> 1) Add an entry to your mailertable file:
>
>    SC> mydomain.com   esmtp:[ip of primary mail server]
>
> 'mydomain.com' would be the domain for which this box will be a relay,
> correct?

Yes!

> 'ip of primary mail server' would be the box that
> handles the domain normally, correct?

Yes!

> Can it a dns name instead of its IP address?

Yes! Just don't include the brackets. i.e.
mydomain.com    estmp:mx2.mydomain.com

BTW: The mailertable format is documented in the cf/README file metioned
above.

>    SC> 2) Then add mydomain.com to /etc/mail/relay-domains.
>
>    SC> Whatever you do... do NOT add mydomain.com to
> /etc/mail/local-host-names.
>
>    SC> 3) Rebuild the mailertable database and then restart sendmail
>
> How?

# cd /etc/mail
# make

BTW: Rebuilding the mailertable database (and the other sendmail database
files) is documented in the cf/README file.

>    SC> FWIW: There is a second option (this is what I do).
> Use the DSMTP
>    SC> mailer.
>
> Is 'dsmpt' part of the standard sendmail package?

Yes!

> Or is this an alternate package?

It's simply an alternate mailer definition.

> If I use esmtp per your first suggestion, how it
> function if the primary sendmail is down?

Using the esmtp mailer... sendmail will first try to deliver the e-mail to
the primary. If the primary is down, it will queue the e-mail. The queued
e-mail will then be subjected to the standard sendmail queue runs (and
possible DSN's) for final delivery. i.e once an hour -or- manually by
typing: sendmail -q

>  You imply that only dsmtp will queue.

Thats correct! The DSMTP mailer will simply queue all e-mail for the domain
specifed. No delivery attempts will ever be made until you release the
queued mail by issuing an ETRN as outlined in my previous reply to your
post.

Steve Cowles