On Sun, Jun 15, 2003 at 05:14:17PM +0600, root_sharif wrote:
> i am new in linux...
> Using Redhat 7.2 at the moment.
> But CD rom is not working
> properly
> whenever i insert a cd and
> click on the cdrom icon from my desktop
> i get the message "unknow device /dev/cdrom"
>
> My fstab configuration is as it's attached...
> pls check it .. and help me out.

Are you running RH 7.2 WITHOUT any of the errata/updates issued by
Red Hat?

There was a known "issue" in the original release of 7.2 that caused this
very symptom. You can work around it by (as someone else already suggested)
doing "depmod -ae" as root. Or you can "fix it right" by installing all
the RH72 errata.

I suggest you DO install all the RH72 updates. There are MANY, and they
cover not only this particular bug, but numerous other bugs and (most
importantly) security issues. Several of the early errata for 7.2 also
add important fixes and updates to the printing system which was somewhat
flaky on the original release.

if you have DSL or cable or some form of high speed access getting and
installing all the errata shouldn't be too painful. The easiest way will
be to register with RHN ("configure update agent" on the KDE menus) then
run the "Update Agent" and let it install all packages. Then reboot to
bring up the new kernel. Expect this to take several hours as there is
a large number of errata on that release.

--
---- Fred Smith -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] -----------------------------
                     all ages, now and forevermore! Amen."