Dave Altonaga wrote:
--- Edward Dekkers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

Dave Altonaga wrote:

Greets,

I noticed this when I've tried to install xine.

Most

of the rpms would install ( at least I think they

did)

but after trying to install xine ui it stated that

needed other libs inorder to install. These lib I
already installed prior to this. then after all

that

no rpms will work. They may ask for root and then

the

process dialog would dissappear and nothing.

I am using RH9 whatever the lastest kernel is ;)

As far as xine is concerned I tried to compile it

and

still nothing it say I need certain lib

- Dave

Sounds like the RPM stale lockfile problem. Check out the RedHat FAQs:

http://www.reznet.uleth.ca/faq

I see that thats going to be a good site but it didnt
have info on my issue.

What is a lockfile and why woudl it happen out of the
blue even after three fresh installas and a low level format?

http://www.reznet.uleth.ca/faq/redhat-list/node5.html

Read number 4. It happens because RPM freezes and the lock files aren't deleted after the end of the process like they usually are.

Bill