John Nichel wrote:
Drew Weaver wrote:

Since you're probably violating your ISPs ToS anyway I guess it doesnt
matter if AOL doesn't accept your mail.

-Drew

Yes and no. I have a business account, and am allowed to run things such as web servers and mail servers. In their business TOS, it says nothing about me running these items on either static or dynamic ip's (my account has one static and 5 dynamic ip's). I use the static for my business website, my mail server is on one of the dynamic ip's, and a gateway set up on one of the other dynamics. Their general TOS does state that dynamic users (regular home users) can not run these items though. So it's kind of a grey area.

I'm not saying that AOL is wrong for this, as I'm sure a ton of SPAM comes from people running mail servers inside their own house.

I could legally (e.g. not violate any TOS's) run a mail/web server if I had DSL (local telco doesn't differentiate between business and home accounts like the cable company does).