On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Benjamin J. Weiss wrote:

> I saw references to having encrypted filesystems available in the next
> kernel release.  If that's the case, and it's due out in the not to
> distant future, I could hold off.

I don't know if that's true or not. Check out kernel.org to find out.
AFAIK, there are no userland utilities for creating encrypted loopback
filesystems, although you might want to check out LUFS to see if they
support it yet (you'd still need to patch the kernel, though).

You might also want to look at Knoppix, which I'm pretty sure supports
encrypted filesystems AND encrypted swap partitions in the latest release.
You can run Knoppix without touching your HD at all, if you like.

--
The DMCA is anti-consumer. The RIAA has no right to rewrite copyright
laws to suit themselves.