On 16 Apr, Paul Breedlove wrote:
> I am trying to set up a PPP server that will allow windows 3.1 users,
> using Trumpet, PPP access. I found a doc on sunsite on configuring a PPP
> server and followed the directions. I can call up, logon, and establish
> the PPP connection, but the windows 3.1 machine can't "see" past the PPP
> server. I can ping the PPP server, and the PPP server can ping the
> windows 3.1 machine, but the windows 3.1 machine can't ping anything
> else. None of the other machines on the network can ping the windows 3.1
> machine either. The ip address that Trumpet see's is correct, as well as
> the netmask, gateway, etc.
>
> It seems like it is a routing problem. I have tried the proxyarp
> parameter with pppd, to no avail. Currently pppd is being executed with
> the following parameters:
> pppd -detach silent modem crtscts debug
>
> The options file has this in it:
> asyncmap 0
> netmask 255.255.255.224
> lock
>
> There aren't any errors in the messages file when the windows 3.1
> machine logs on, and communications between the PPP server and the
> windows 3.1 machine works great. It's just that the windows 3.1 machine,
> can't get to any other ip's.
>
> Can anyone offer some help?

Yup - this is covered in the PPP-HOWTO (which is on sunsite AND in the
Red Hat Linux distribution - install the howto rpm and look in
/usr/doc/HOWTO/...).

It looks like you don't have the 'proxyarp' option specified to pppd on
the server side and you possibly also have not enabled IP Forwarding on
the server.

--

Robert Hart                                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Red Hat Software Inc.           Phone: +1-919-547-0012  Fax: +1-919-547-0024