On Wed, 2003-06-25 at 16:27, Mike Wafkowski wrote:
> Beast - Thanks for showing up 8^).
>
> Yours is exactly the situation that lead me to my rant.
>
> Licensing costs is the bingo for corporate users and
> institutional/government users, anywhere where there are "numbers" and
> places where folks are just plain poor by "western" standards. The key to
> widespread adoption of technology is "cheap" as in free as in Linux which is
> why I do go on my performance rants occasionally. Linux will be the
> "Revolution OS" as soon as some of these issues are resolved.
>
> I've got no help for you with the performance thing, but there were some
> useful tips if you backtrack on this thread.
>
> Peace,
> Mike Wafkowski

Just as a backup thought here:

I sell systems to small biz/home users. Here is a cost comparison
side-by-side per system:

Intel 2.4ghz, 256mb RAM, 40gb EIDE, Combo CDRW/DVD/CDROM drive, 3.5"
floppy, 17" monitor SB Live! 5.1, multimedia keyboard/optical mouse,
240w speakers w/subwoofer, Canon printer, Canon LIDE scanner, NetEye
webcam, 56k internal modem, 10/100 ethernet

With WindowsXP Pro: $1990 AUD
With Mandrake or RedHat: $1600 AUD

For a small biz owner or a home user, the costs are a big factor. The XP
setup still requires MS Office (or a license) along with other
bits'n'bobs of software - especially an antivirus solution. Just MS
Office and an antivirus solution add another $400+ to the package cost,
bringing the workstation cost to over $2300+.

The linux workstation, on the other hand, requires no further cost for
an office productivity package (Lessee, you've got OpenOffice, AbiWord,
Dia, KOffice and it's bits'n'bobs, KPDF, KGhostview, Evolution,
Sylpheed, Balsa, KMail, KOrganiser, WINE...and heaps more)...

For integration into an already M$-owned environment, an administrator
only needs to see that the workstation is compatible with what they
already have (if not moreso) and more cost effective in the long run.
I've been able to show that the workstation with linux can actually be a
better alternative for an M$ environment - especially in such that
"locking down the workstation" is an issue (as most office workers like
to surf and play instead of work - sorry to be a stick-in-the-mud).

9 years ago people whinged about changing from WordPerfect to MS Word -
and from either MSDOS or OS/2 to something different...end-users can
change when they HAVE to change - and sometimes, once they've changed,
they don't go back...

...just my two cents, y'all
--
Wed Jun 25 20:40:00 EST 2003
 20:40:00 up 20:26,  2 users,  load average: 0.18, 0.16, 0.14