The spare CPU cycles only help if your bus can fill them.  That's the
meaning of the phrase you quote.  A 1Ghz processor is no faster and has
no more CPU cycles to spare than the 500Mhz processor (depending on the
bus speed - some newer buses go beyond this).

In addition, you mention servers as being CPU-intensive.  My own
experience has shown the desktop to be most CPU-intensive, while servers
are I/O intensive.

Jon