> Are these commercial xservers i586/linux compatible?

Yes

> Can I swap them out for say, a md91 distro to get better performance?

Yes - I haven't tried it myself so I can't say personally about
performance, but others have thought it to be good.

Of course, I think X performs just fine.  If you renice -20 the X process,
the Window Manager, and the panel, you will notice a definite improvement
(that's how Windows does it).

http://www.metrolink.com/products/metrox/index.html

Jon