On Fri, 2003-06-27 at 04:27, Bret Hughes wrote:

> Huh.  I must have done something wrong then I only installed one.  Since
> this thread started I have played with Icewm and xfce on my 7.3 laptop.
> I punted on nautilus over a year ago but still use gnome.  Thing are
> faster without gnome.

The latest version of XFCE (which is XFCE4beta2) has at leats 11 RPM's
to install for full functionality. It really isn't a "newbie"
installation and in and of the fact that the "newbie" then has to
manually edit .xsession and .xinitrc files, well, I wouldn't wish that
on a newbie unless they REALLY REALLY wanted a quick'n'dirty lesson on
the *NIX file structure and it's operation...which most don't.

> I have not had a chance to dink much with xfce and I am not sure I like
> the task bar thing since it it big and I am used to gnome panel with
> small icons and can keep it on top.

The latest version is leaps and bounds beyond XFCE3 (and all previous
versions) - there is still a smacking of "CDE" about it, but GTK
integration, theming, taskbar, icon box - and other cool function make
it so much more betta!

--
Fri Jun 27 09:05:00 EST 2003
 09:05:00 up 2 days,  8:51,  3 users,  load average: 0.95, 1.00, 0.95

Harrisberger's Fourth Law of the Lab:
        Experience is directly proportional to the
        amount of equipment ruined.