Alastair,
Thanks for your input.
The problem was that the entries had forward slashes in them, telling the system they were directories, yet rmdir didn't see them as valid, so nobody wanted to take responsibility for them.

Several runs through fsck (yeah, go figure) converted the "/" characters to "." characters, at which point it was easy to it get up an running.

Cheers to all who offered input.

j.