Whoa, whoa... you're going to WAY more trouble
than you need!

Check your PuTTY client; it needs to be 0.52 or
later to do this properly, over ssh.

Under ssh, in the category window, there is a
section called tunnels.  Check "Enable X11 forwarding"
and put in as your X display location "localhost:0"

Make sure that Exceed is running (all you need to
do is click on Exceed in the menu; nothing else is
needed.  It'll give you the hummingbird icon, then just
a closed item on your taskbar that has the X logo and
the word "Exceed" on it.  Open your SSH connection
via PuTTY.  In the ssh window, type something (say,
xload&) and enjoy.

The localhost variable that you're seeing is saying
that you're running correctly on ssh, btw.  You are
running on the 10th TTY, root screen.  That's CORRECT
in most cases, for the first ssh (but other values
such as localhost:X:0 (where X is some number>10) are
also fine).

What DOESN'T seem to be right is that you haven't
started your X server (Exceed) prior to trying to
use it; Exceed needs to be running FIRST, before
you start the window, although you could technically
connect via PuTTY and start Exceed afterwards, but
still before starting your X Application.

I've been doing this for AGES.  It works, and works
well.  BTW, I'm including Smoothwall in that assessment;
although I use IPCop right now, I've used (and helped
develop) both, and that's just a red herring in your
case; I'm connected RIGHT now via a setup like I
just described to a RH7.3 behind an IPCop 1.2 using
PuTTY 0.52 on NT4.0 with Exceed 5.11 (VERY ancient,
in terms of Exceed).

Bill Ward