> I've got a Pentium III Coppermine (Celeron?) 866 MHz processor.  Now, I
> typically install from RPM's, because it's so easy.  But I was just
> thinking that many of these RPM's have i386 or noarch in their names.
> Does this mean that they're running slower on my processor than they
> would if I downloaded source and compiled?  And if I *did* download

Yes.  But usually not noticeably so.  Redhat has kernels compiled for
i586, i686, and athlon, and I think they do glibc the same.  If you have
something specific that you want sped up, you might try it, but I would be
surprised if it gave more than a 5% bump to any application.  In addition,
I believe that the RedHat Optimization settings are -O2.  I don't remember
what the highest setting is for gcc, but if you specify -O9 I'm sure
you'll get it.  On the other hand, some of these aren't as well tested, or
cause problems in buggy code.

> source and compile, would RedHat network still keep me up to date for
> security patches and such?

Absolutely not.  How would it know?

My recommendation - keep with the stock stuff.  The only thing I've found
that was worth compiling is compute-bound stuff, like mjpegtools, which I
don't think RH ships anyway.  Most of your other stuff doesn't matter.

Jon