> On my system at liest, redhat rpms are compiled basically (default
> settings) with -march i386 -mcpu i686. Though I am not very educated
> about asm instructions, I wouldn't bleive they would run on a pentium
> (i586) machine.

They should run on an i586.  -march is the instruction set, so if it's set
to i386, those are the only instructions it uses.  -mpcu is the CPU it's
optimized for.  So, it _will_ run on an i386, but the instructions are
scheduled to be optimized for the 686 pipeline.

If you recompile -march i686 it will then use i686-only instructions when
beneficial, but will be unable to run on other architectures.

However, right now, gcc isn't that good at optimization anyway (it was
originally designed with RISC processors in mind).  It's
improving, so this should be better in the future.

Jon