Thanks Ed, and Alan.

I'm going to change the hard disk asap. I am backing data now.
One problem thoughg, i have two disks. Thought it's /dev/hda caused the halt when being checked, i am not sure if /dev/hdb has problem too, or even the IDE controller or cable. Is there anyway to differentiate these?

From: Ed Wilts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: HELP - serious hd problem
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 18:37:19 -0500

On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 11:03:34PM +0000, Zhihong Pan wrote:
> The short version: The computer froze twice in a few hours, due to hard disk
> problem as I think. Anyway to recover it to normal or I have to change it
> and reinstall system? I am using RH 7.3 and ext3. Thanks

Once a hard drive starts failing, it almost always continue failing.
You can map out a bad block, but it will usually find other blocks going
bad.  The short answer:  replace the hard drive with a good one.

> Knowing the disk is in danger, I started to back up important data. But it
> suddenly froze again. In short, again i rebooted it few times before getting
> it back. It's almost the same steps as the frist crash, except it once
> halted at "Starting Xinetd".

Boot into single user mode.  This will make it less likely that you'll
hit bad spots on the disk.  Then back up directory by directory, getting
as much as you can.  You may have to reboot many times to get everything
that was important, but then again, if it was really important, it
should have been backed up in the first place.

> I think it's harddisk problem for sure, but not sure what reason exactly.
> Is it possible of bad sectors? Anyway to mark these sectors as dos and still
> run it safely? Or i need to change a harddisk without doubt.

Without a doubt. Don't waste your time marking sectors as bad.

I am assuming, of course, that the system was working fine and that no
other changes were made.  If you did something like play with drive
settings (dma, etc), add a new drive, replace cables, or anything like
that, then all bets are off.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]