Daryl Hunt wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Benjamin J. Weiss" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, July 12, 2003 10:10 AM
Subject: Re: Postfix (Was: qmail or sendmail(postfix))

Daryl,

Millions of us are using linux mail without any problems.  I think that
what you are running afoul of is a default configuration that has been
set up intentionally by distro publishers as a "best practice".
Basically it is thus:

1) If somebody is physically logged into a linux box, they are able to
send and receive email.  No problem.

2) Mail relay is disabled by default, because of unethical spammers who
scan for open relays and use them for illegal reasons.

3) There are several ways that you can configure your email to relay in
a responsible manner.

   a)  The docs that come with RH and that are available on RH's
website specifically show you how to configure sendmail to allow relay
for specific IP addresses or address ranges.  This is handy if you are
attempting to use your RH box as the primary mail server for a
corporation or a home network where you expect to always access your
imap/pop email from specific machines.

   b) The notes I published for you show how to set up postfix with
sasl auth in such a way as to allow you to log into your box with an
imap client from anywhere in the world and send/receive email.  It is
working for myself and for three other family members (wife, brother,
father-in-law),  and those three don't have any technical knowledge
whatsoever.

I understand your frustration, as I have shared it in the past.  Please
remember, though, that while linux gives you nearly unlimited power to
do whatever you want, it does require more effort in learning HOW to
achieve your goals.

Ben

At this time, I don't have the time and Customers need Email NOW.  It costs
me a bundle to 3rd party the Emails and the Website when a simple DNS with
MX sends it to two machines including the venerable 2000 machine.  But I do
need the HTTPS server that is quite simple to setup under Linux or BSD.
Either one works.  I will admit that I got much further on Free BSD since it
worked right out of the box with little monkeying with it.  I like the
interface that Linux has but the new FreeBsd has the same ones now.

And more ISPs run FreeBsd than Linux these days using Postfix instead of
sendmail.

I would like to thank you for your cooperation.  I will get some time one of
these days and get back on it.

Until then, tawtaw.

If memory serves me correctly, more are running qmail than Postfix. Sendmail is still the most popular MTA.