On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 02:51:37PM -0400, Lee Flier wrote:
> Now that Red Hat and other distros contain a lot of tools to make
> installation, upgrades and other stuff easy for newbies/desktop users
> (which is all to the good in helping Linux replace M$), what is being
> done to prevent Microsoft-like domination of the Linux desktop?

It's known as open source.  Microsoft-like domination can not exist.

> For
> example (I haven't yet perused any of the source code since obtaining
> RH), is the source included for the alert notification and up2date
> programs

$ rpm -qi up2date

This will tell you that up2date is licensed under the GPL.  Feel free to
request the source.  I expect it to be on your sources CD or you can use
up2date to pull the src rpm down.

>and has it been scrutinized for security/privacy holes?

Probably but we don't know to what detail by people outside of Red Hat.
By the same token, you don't know what level of scrutiny has been
performed on the rest of the packages.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]