Edward Croft wrote:
On Fri, 2003-07-18 at 09:26, Edward Dekkers wrote:

Gary Stainburn wrote:

Hi folks,

I'm thinking of getting my better half a new printer - Epson Stylus C82.

Anyone got any comments about this printer - specifically when connected to a RH7.3 box

The only comment I can give you is - I LOVE THE PRINTER. Most definately the best inkjet on the market for 'all round' performance. And by god is it ever fast - it seems like a laser at times!!! 22 ppm certainly hoons along and the quality is brilliant!!!

HOWEVER - I honestly don't think this is the printer you want for Linux :(

It only comes with a simple 'out of ink' indicator at the front, and tragically this is its downfall. With 4 ink tanks to choose from, 1 led at the front is Epson's huge mistake. Basically, without the Epson status monitor, there's no way to tell which ink is out.

And ofcourse, the ESM only runs under windows and won't work through Samba.

In short - if you can hook it up to a Windows box - buy it. This is the best printer I've ever worked with bar none.

If you're going to hook it up to Linux - the lack of knowing the status of the ink cartridges makes it next to useless.

Regards,
Ed.

Ed, just curious, have you tried to run the ESM under wine? At least
maybe it would tell you which cartridge was out?

Interesting concept. Never even thought of that. IF Wine emulates the USB port or PPT port even close to 100%, it should in theory work.

When I get a few moments I may give it a shot.

Regards,
Ed.