On Friday 18 July 2003 06:42 pm, SAQIB wrote:
> Everything has specific purpsose. NFS was designed for something else, and
> has lots of other functionality (e.g. NAS solutions are based on NFS
> stack). For mp3 a open source streaming server or a http server is the way
> to go.

Wait, that's not entirely correct. I don't want to mislead you, but I have
used both NFS mounted and Samba mounted file system to play MP3. All works
fine. In both case, the server is Linux. The client are Lin and Win, and in
linux I've used both samba and nfs with no problem.

I am not sure what cause your problem, since I am not very verse at NFS
myself. Others probably can help you with that, but just to let you know that
it's doable.

BTW, what's in your /etc/fstab for mounting the NFS?

RDB

> Saqib Ali
> ---------
> http://www.xml-dev.com
>
> On Fri, 18 Jul 2003, G. Douglas Burton (RH 8.0) wrote:
> > Okay, the next question is why?  It is difficult for me to believe that
> > my Windows machines have no problem accessing and playing MP3s from the
> > Linux server via Samba and yet my Linux machine can't do it either via
> > Samba or NFS?  So what was all the talk I heard about Linux being such a
> > wonderful networking OS?  BTW, the Linux desktop machine has 256 Mb of
> > RAM while most of my WIndows machines are running 128 Mb or less.
> > Assuming equal network speed for all on the same net, why is this not
> > enough RAM?  I'll grant you running Gnome and XMMS is part of the
> > problem, but it does not seem to bother anything when I access the MP3s
> > which reside on my old Win 95 server.  I'll admit to being a relative
> > Linux newbie, but I'm just trying to understand...
> >
> > Doug
> >
> > On Friday 18 July 2003 15:01, SAQIB wrote:
> > > NFS has too much overhead. I would rather look into streaming via HTTP
> > > (apache). or an open source streaming solution.
> > >
> > > Saqib Ali
> > > ---------
> > > http://www.xml-dev.com

Reuben D. Budiardja