Hal Burgiss wrote:

On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 06:08:40PM -0400, David Hart wrote:

There MUST be alternatives that are less ponderous. I'm much more
interested in efficiency and speed than pretty displays, animations
or other visual effects that add nothing to usability.

You don't need either one. I run just plain Windowmaker, and it flies and does everything I need. Its fairly stable too:

$ ps |grep wmaker
hal     849  0.0  0.2  9724 2752 tty1   S  Feb23   3:22 /usr/bin/wmaker

GNOME/KDE are not essential, and in fact, are newish X add-ons.

Windowmaker is not present in newer versions of RH. Even in older versions of RH it has not been maintained in RH for a long time. The menus are 80% filled with programs no longer in redhat.

--
Once you have their hardware. Never give it back.
(The First Rule of Hardware Acquisition)