Justin Dobbs wrote:

>  I'd be curious to see whether the final version of KDE, or some
> version in the future, supports the CDE architecture, so that KDE
> users can use existing CDE applications without conversion.  It would
> be a feat of magic, but imagine the potential for KDE on commercial
> platforms!

Feat of magic indeed -- First, you have to presume that everyone has a
complete distribution of Motif.  Or, presume that lesstif gets finished
to a degree of complete usability.  The KDE originators chose the QT
interface library because it was lean and free (at least for private
use).

> It would be nice if Netscape, having been released in source form,
> might someday be modified for the KDE system.

Well, the QT folks ported Netscape to use the QT interface rather than
Motif:

    http://www.troll.no/qtscape

Incidentally the versions look very very much alike, but the final
executable is much smaller which tells you how much lighter the
QT libraries are versus Motif.  Anyway, it took the QT folks 4 days and
nights to port Netscape to QT -- I doubt it would take much longer to
add in KDE.

    -Fred