Ok. Thanks for letting me know about the story.

Well personally I would still do it. There is nothing dangerous on my linuz box. The sole purpose of the linux box is to be a webserver. Eg, the only thing they could hack is just my website so in theory there is nothing I need.

I need those extensions because we are using loads of databases in Access which requiure the extentions to import the information from web forms directly into Access. Tahts exactly what I need because I will have a major school project which would need to use Access and the webforms. That project also happens to be part of my final school grade so I want to do well in it.

From: "Mark Haney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: FP 2002 extentions
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 09:51:51 -0400

Ben Sewell wrote:
> Hi. I am using red hat 7.2 linux now. The apache version that came
> with the installation is installed but not setup. I think it is
> Apache 2. But I'm not sure. How do I create a new service for apache
> to start working? Also, I want to install Frontpage 2002 extensions
> on my linux machine so I can use my school files and experiment with
> my school web site before uploading it. Anyone know if this can be
> done?
>
> Thanks,

I thought I'd better toss my $0.02 in on the FP extensions.  I also work
for a county school system which initially had an IIS web server with
the FP2000 extensions.  I was here no more than 3 months when our site
was hacked through a buffer overflow exploit in the FP extensions.  Once
I got the box under control and semi-secure (the box was also the only
DC in the organization) I pressed hard for moving away from IIS and the
FP extensions.  I don't recommend using the extensions on any OS.  They
are inherently unstable and pose a security risk that I wasn't willing
to deal with.  It's actually turned out much better in the long run as
it has forced the teachers and students who handle the creation of pages
for their section of our site to use a more comprehensive web page
builder, in this case Dreamweaver.  I know, I know, I'll hear a ton
about people not willing to learn new software, etc.  But I believe that
just letting users use insecure software because it's easy to learn just
teaches bad habits.  Since 90% of the pages that are created don't use
the extensions anyhow, it makes sense not to use FP to begin with.  I
may have shot myself in the foot politically here, but I'm here to
provide reliable, secure services, not suck up.  HTH.

*puts up soapbox*

Ben,
Full time punk