Yup, for a school project. PHP and MYSQL was installed when I installed red hat 7.2. Perl is also installed. Ok, How do I install IIS then? (Linux newbie).
Just need the stuff so I can import CVS files into the Access database and also for my sisters school project coming which is done on frontpage XP.
:)

From: "Mark Haney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: FP 2002 extentions
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 10:43:08 -0400

Ben Sewell wrote:
> Ok. Thanks for letting me know about the story.
>
> Well personally I would still do it. There is nothing dangerous on my
> linuz box. The sole purpose of the linux box is to be a webserver.
> Eg, the only thing they could hack is just my website so in theory
> there is nothing I need.
>
> I need those extensions because we are using loads of databases in
> Access which requiure the extentions to import the information from
> web forms directly into Access. Tahts exactly what I need because I
> will have a major school project which would need to use Access and
> the webforms. That project also happens to be part of my final school
> grade so I want to do well in it.
>

>> From: "Mark Haney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> Subject: RE: FP 2002 extentions
>> Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 09:51:51 -0400
>>
>> Ben Sewell wrote:
>>> Hi. I am using red hat 7.2 linux now. The apache version that came
>>> with the installation is installed but not setup. I think it is
>>> Apache 2. But I'm not sure. How do I create a new service for apache
>>> to start working? Also, I want to install Frontpage 2002 extensions
>>> on my linux machine so I can use my school files and experiment with
>>> my school web site before uploading it. Anyone know if this can be
>>> done?
>>>
>>> Thanks,

>>> Protect your PC - get McAfee.com VirusScan Online
>>> http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963
>>
>> I thought I'd better toss my $0.02 in on the FP extensions.  I also
>> work for a county school system which initially had an IIS web server
>> with the FP2000 extensions.  I was here no more than 3 months when
>> our site was hacked through a buffer overflow exploit in the FP
>> extensions. Once I got the box under control and semi-secure (the
>> box was also the only DC in the organization) I pressed hard for
>> moving away from IIS and the FP extensions.  I don't recommend using
>> the extensions on any OS.  They are inherently unstable and pose a
>> security risk that I wasn't willing to deal with.  It's actually
>> turned out much better in the long run as it has forced the teachers
>> and students who handle the creation of pages for their section of
>> our site to use a more comprehensive web page builder, in this case
>> Dreamweaver.  I know, I know, I'll hear a ton about people not
>> willing to learn new software, etc.  But I believe that just letting
>> users use insecure software because it's easy to learn just teaches
>> bad habits.  Since 90% of the pages that are created don't use the
>> extensions anyhow, it makes sense not to use FP to begin with.  I
>> may have shot myself in the foot politically here, but I'm here to
>> provide reliable, secure services, not suck up.  HTH.
>>
>> *puts up soapbox*
>>

>> --
>

> Ben,
> Full time punk

Hang on, this is for a school project?  And you want to go through the
pain of installing the extensions and access instead of PHP/mysql?  Why?
If the project requires using access and FP, then just use IIS.  The
work well together (all things considered) and you might find them more
stable.  I've not had much good luck with the extensions on linux.  But
I've not messed with them since apache 2 was released.  I just don't get
mixing apps like that.