From: Real Cucumber [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2003 1:30 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Rehat 8 - How to Setup FTP Server

It shows vsftp on when I did the chkconfig --list

But I still can't connect to the server thorugh ftp, telnet, web, nothing - and I
installed with firewall off... and I really don't know how to get this machine to
accept connections and make sure everything is working.

Even apache is running and I've placed an index.htm file in the virtual host web
folder and I can't view it when I try http://ipaddress/

Is there some kind of global setting for me to make sure that RH8 allows connections?

I'd ideally like to have FTP, Web, MySQL, and Telnet services running - this machine
is on a local area network with a gateway setting and is not directly connected to the
net.

"Rigler, Steve" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
It sounds like there may be some confusion as to what the service
command does.

/sbin/service is basically a script that prepends "/etc/init.d" to
whatever argument you feed it. When you enter "service vsftpd start"
it says service not found because it has no script in /etc/init.d.
The reason it has no script in /etc/init.d is because it is an xinetd
service and must be started/stopped within xinetd.

The easiest way to manage services (xinetd based or other) is through
chkconfig. Just type "chkconfig --list " and it will
tell you whether it is enabled or not. To enable a service, do
"chkconfig on". If it is xinetd based, it will change
to "disabled" to "no" and restart xinetd for you. Naturally xinetd
should also be enabled to run at boot "chkconfig --list xinetd".

-Steve