At 7/24/2003 11:48 -0700, you wrote:
Okay ... the good news is that I can ping the IP of the linux box/router.

Good.

I am now struggling with giving the eth0 a range of IP addresses.

Err... why do you want to do this at all?

the one NT server with a static is not only the mailserver but a proxy for the network.

Alright... that's enough: I'm lost.

Kirby, please do the following:

1. Say, clearly and concisely, how your network is configured today. How it gets out to the Internet, what the gateway hardware/software is, what role each key machine plays (don't bother listing all the clients, just the machines that really matter), and why such choices were made (is the NT server a proxy so you can check what people see, or for caching and more speed, or what?).

2. Say, clearly and concisely, how you WOULD LIKE your network to be configured. I think that this is: linux box is the gateway, with a ppp link to the Internet and eth0 to the local network; NT server handles the mail (so linux box will need to forward SMTP connections to it); everything else is a client.

If my understanding of what you want is correct, this is dead easy. But it looks like you're working 10 times as hard as you need to, mostly because you tie yourself up in knots. <grin> Stop, take a step back, explain to us what the hell it is you're trying to destroy, and we'll get you through it. Quickly, and easily.

Oh, and would you please name your machines? Even box1 if you must, but reading "nic card" and "linux box" is confusing. NIC card on what box!?

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz [EMAIL PROTECTED]