On Sat, 26 Jul 2003, Edward Dekkers wrote:

> Hey there,
>
>       Here's a little before and after scenario:
>
> Before:
>
>       Both end users and root could use X Windows by typing 'startx'.
>
> After:
>
>       After installing the NVIDIA drivers using the shell script, two things
> have happened. Firstly, the nvidia kernel module is not getting loaded
> automatically. I have to modprobe it before I can even use it.
>
> Secondly, root is fine - startx gets me in and X is definately
> accellerated (Chromium and Tux run beautifully).
>
> However, as a user - all I get is a heap of dialog boxes with only a
> tick and cross in them. No text. Clicking through using the ticks and
> crosses eventually gets me to a desktop where there is completely no
> text, the icons are all the same and have no text, and the task bar is
> up the top, again, no color, no text, and whatever icons ARE there have
> no color. Ctrl-Alt-Backspace gets me back.
>
> The XFree log shows no errors.
>
> I'd think it was a premissions thing, but the script doesn't modify them
> does it?
>
> Anyone seen this before?
>
> Regards,
> Ed.

I'm using the Nvidia drivers on two RH 9 boxes successfully.  They used to
be RH 8.0 and before that 7.3.  In other words, the drivers should be
functional.

You have edited the XF86Config-4 file to make the changes specified in the
Nvidia docs...and there weren't any typo's...right?

--
Gerry

"The lyfe so short, the craft so long to learne"  Chaucer