RH 7.2

OK, is there a better source of instructions on creating RAID 1 configs on existing drives for Red Hat distributions?

I checked the Red Hat Docs and can only find instructions for setting up RAID upon new installation, not on an existing system.

The FAQ that I referred to: http://unthought.net/Software-RAID.HOWTO/

doesn't mention that you can't mirror a mounted partition or address the issue of how to set up mirrors w/ production drives that have existing data. The FAQ does have a separate section on setting up RAID on Red Hat systems, but only addresses changes needed booting w/ LILO, but not the current default boot manager GRUB.

I'd like to get as much relevant info as possible to avoid blowing my system away and being very sorry...

Thanks,
Cosmo

ps: I'm surprised to be informed that one can't mirror a mounted drive. Doesn't a recovery from a failed RAID drive involve replacing a bad drive with a good one, and then re-mirroring the new one from an existing on-line copy - w/o taking the original off-line?

Hi Cosmo,

/dev/sda2 is mounted
mkraid: aborted, see the syslog and /proc/mdstat for potential clues.

You can't make a raid device using a mounted device. Unmount it and build the array from a rescue system. Not sure if that will preserve the data on /dev/sda2 though.

Bye,
Leonard.

I can't get my RAID 1 mirrors set up. Following instructions from the "Software RAID HowTo" at http://unthought.net/Software-RAID.HOWTO/

I've run `mkraid /dev/md0` but get the following errors. However, there are no errors in the "message" syslog file, nor any indication from /proc/mdstat.

What's up wit that?

My /etc/raidtab:

# root partition mirrors
raiddev /dev/md0
        raid-level      1
        nr-raid-disks   2
        nr-spare-disks  0
        chunk-size     4
        persistent-superblock 1
        device          /dev/sda2
        raid-disk       0
        device          /dev/hdc2
        raid-disk       1

Both /dev/sda2 and /dev/hdc2 have partition types of "fd" (linux-raid). /dev/sda2 is my root partition, currently mounted. `fdisk` reports /dev/sda2 as having 3,855,600 blocks `fdisk` reports /dev/hdc2 as having 3,856,104 blocks

Output from `mkraid`:

# /sbin/mkraid /dev/md0
handling MD device /dev/md0
analyzing super-block
disk 0: /dev/sda2, 3855600kB, raid superblock at 3855488kB
/dev/sda2 is mounted
mkraid: aborted, see the syslog and /proc/mdstat for potential clues.

# cat /proc/mdstat Personalities : read_ahead not set unused devices: <none> #

Help, please. Thanks.