It's a good question.  I'll enumerate my views as to why not more completely
as the thread continues, but in order to focus it I wanted to start this new
thread around this point:

Resolved: We should be pushing Linux as an alternative to Windows NT Server,
Novell Netware, and commercial Unixes that target x86 and comparable
"desktop" hardware, but we should not be pushing it in anything like it's
present form as an alternative to Windows 95, Windows NT Workstation (except
in some places where Unix is already appropriate), or the Macintosh OS.

Further resolved: Linux isn't an appropriate OS for your grandma.  Windows
95 is.

And finally resolved: If you try to convince grandma she should be running
Linux, you're wasting your time and annoying grandma.  If you're lucky,
you'll fail to convince her to switch.  If you're really unlucky, you'll
convince her.

The expiration date on these statements is December 31, 1998.  Do not
consider them operative past this date unless I've renewed them.  I hope I
won't have to, but I'll bet I do.