On Wed, Jun 24, 1998 at 04:20:23PM -0500, Shawn McMahon wrote:
> Resolved: We should be pushing Linux as an alternative to Windows NT Server,
> Novell Netware, and commercial Unixes that target x86 and comparable
> "desktop" hardware, but we should not be pushing it in anything like it's
> present form as an alternative to Windows 95, Windows NT Workstation (except
> in some places where Unix is already appropriate), or the Macintosh OS.

Hmmm...how about this as an adjunct:

Linux (/Unix) should be used for all applications that touch the Internet,
since that's where the Internet was invented, developed, and where it
seems awfully likely that all future innovations will come.  That means
things like firewalls, web servers, mail gateways, and the like should
all be running Linux/Unix.

Which leaves out the LAN that the accountants use...which probably needs
to keep running whatever it's running now.

> Further resolved: Linux isn't an appropriate OS for your grandma.  Windows
> 95 is.

Yes to the first, but no to the second.  Granmda should have a Mac, so that
she can install and configure her own software a high degree of probability
that she won't break the last piece of software she installed.  And if
she just needs a mail client and a web browser, then there won't be a lot
of software installation going on anyway.

---Rsk
Rich Kulawiec