Ok, thanks Tim & Matt for your help.  Sounds like I need to get 5.1.

-----Original Message-----
From:   Tim Pickering [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent:   Tuesday, June 23, 1998 12:34 PM
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        Re: Xircom PCMCIA

> > I've recently installed RH5.0 on my Toshiba laptop.  During the
install,
> > the option for a Xircom PCMCIA NIC was not available, therefore I
just
> > skipped installing networking.  Can someone tell me what steps are
> > necessary to install this Xircom card now ?  The card is a Xircom
CE3
> > 10/100 NIC.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mike
>
>       What you need is the PCMCIA package from
> ftp://hyper.stanford.edu/pub/pcmcia/. Download it, untar it somewhere
> like /usr/src/pcmcia (preference), and read the included PCMCIA-HOWTO.
> It's a bit cryptic in some places, and you'll probably only need to
know
> a little about your hardware. Toshibas seem to play well with Linux.
If
> you need some help, feel free to ask...
>
> HTH, Matt

the problem here is that the 10/100 NIC is a cardbus card, not just s
16-bit pcmcia card. it will not work at all with RH 5.0. the pcmcia in
RH 5.1 (3.0.0) has rudimentary cardbus support, but i don't think many
cardbus cards work with it. 3.0.1 is better and i think at least the
3com 10/100 card sort of works.  see
http://hyper.stanford.edu/HyperNews/get/pcmcia/home.html for more
details.

tim

--
  Time is like fingers        A    |  Tim Pickering ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Gesturing for me to stop -- Quake  |  UA Steward Observatory