I'm sorry for my lack of being able to help here, I didn't catch the original question. But, have you tried using SecureCRT on your windows, as an SSH client? It's much better than Putty and all those.

As far as what you need to do on the server, what are you trying to do?

Thanks,
Richard

At 08:38 PM 7/31/2003 -0500, you wrote:
On Thu, 2003-07-31 at 18:07, System Administrator wrote:
> Yes, this is a perfect example of why we should 'just get rid of windows'.
> But.....that is not an option right now.
>
> I am trying to setup SSH with public-key encription to a RH8 box. I am
> running OpenSSH 3.4p2. All default setup.
>
> Of course the other *UX boxes manage just fine (thanks to a VERY good write-up
> from akadia.com).
>
> The Windows (NT,2000) systems, on the other hand, can't seem to get it right.
> I have tried ssh secure shell. I found writeups on the website. But it
> Didn't work. but not diags to see why. I try putty and geta message saying
> "Key is of wrong type (PuTTY SSH2 private key)" . If I look at the actual
> entry (authorized_keys) in the .ssh folder, it list the entry as "public
> key". Again I followed the documentation to generate the keys. At least I
> think I did.
>
> Any insights will be appreciated.
> --

Did do the key conversion before you put the public key in the other
host?  Are you sure you generated a type 2 key?

You really did not give us much to go on.

Bret