On Fri, 2003-08-01 at 12:59, System Administrator wrote:
> This gets LONG....
> On Friday 01 August 2003 12:25, Bret Hughes wrote:
> > On Fri, 2003-08-01 at 10:04, System Administrator wrote:
> > > see below...

> > > Yes and Yes.  I actually went throught the process several times.  The
> > > last time I made sure that I documented each step.

> > > If there is more info I can give to assist you "please" let me know.  I
> > > see no security issues in providing the information.  I have full scale
> > > code developement going on and they are using a makeshift document
> > > control setup until I can get this going.
> >

> > Ok one caveat,  I have only done this once from a W2000 box and have
> > slept since then.  I have setup hundreds of openssh boxes though.
> >
> > Assumptions:
> >
> > The linux host is setup so that the same user can connect from another
> > linux box.  User specific is important because perms on the
> > authorized_keys file can cause failures.
> Correct
> >
> > The windows generated public key has been converted to openssh format
> > and has been installed in the user's ~/.ssh/authorized_keys[2] file
> Correct, authorized_keys is the actual file.
> >

> > The first thing I would do is put the ssh server into debug mode.
> >
> > If you can tell everyone to leave it alone for a minute:
> >
> > try to connect from the windows box using whatever debug options exist
> > in the client.
> >
> > take a look at the output and see if you can tell what is going wrong.
> >
> > If not post the output to the list.  someone here will be able to figure
> > it out.
> >
> > Bret
> Here's the output:
>
> The Good -
> Solaris 8 system
> OpenSSH
> User - clsonnt

<snip>

 debug1: match: OpenSSH_3.4p1 pat OpenSSH*
> Enabling compatibility mode for protocol 2.0
> debug1: Local version string SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_3.4p1
<snip>

> debug1: trying public key file /home/clsonnt/.ssh/authorized_keys
> debug2: key_type_from_name: unknown key type '1024'

<snip>
> debug1: trying public key file /home/clsonnt/.ssh/authorized_keys2
> debug1: matching key found: file /home/clsonnt/.ssh/authorized_keys2, line 1
> Found matching DSA key: e5:75:a5:19:f0:3b:1d:b0:f7:31:30:37:cc:76:57:2f

<snip>

> debug1: Setting controlling tty using TIOCSCTTY.
>

> The Bad -
> WinNT system
> PuTTY 0.53b
> User - clsonnt
>
> Debug output
>
> debug1: sshd version OpenSSH_3.4p1
<snip>

> debug1: Client protocol version 1.5; client software version

Here is the first problem  putty is attempting to connect with protocol
1

under the ssh settings in the putty screen is a protocol setting set it
to 2 only and see what happens

Make sure that under auth you have the correct private key file
selected.

Bret